How to Create Your Own Gem Elixirs
Gem elixirs are special waters that are attuned with a gemstone's specific vibrations so that the properties of a stone can then be taken internally and applied to the body. Use of gem elixirs has been recorded in several ancient civilizations as a way of healing the mind, body, and soul.
Note This was originally posted on a previous version of the Witchipedia by user Alexandra Laurel, Apr 2013. Minor edits have been made, including adding internal links.
- A Gemstone (depending on your purpose, such as Rose Quartz for self-love, Amethyst for psychic awareness, etc)
- An empty jar (glass preferred, do not use metal as it will interfere with the vibrations)
- Clean water, preferably distilled
- A large, clear bowl
- Distilled vinegar or Vodka (Optional)
If using a crystal that will dissolve in water, or a crystal that may contain toxic elements, you will also need:
- A smaller, clear bowl that fits in the larger one.
There are two ways to create a Gem Elixir, the Direct Method and the Indirect Method.
The Direct Method involves submerging your crystals in water.
You should use the Indirect Method if:
1. you are using a crystal that will dissolve in water (such as Selenite, Kunzite, Malachite, Halite, Azurite, etc.
As a general rule, almost any crystal that ends with -ite will dissolve in water. All quartz crystals, such as Amethyst, Citrine, Rose Quartz, etc, are usually water safe). If you are not sure, use a search engine to look up your crystal and confirm that it is not water soluble.
2. You are using a crystal that may contain toxic trace elements (for example, Cinnabar contains mercury, Emerald contains aluminum, etc). See the page on Toxic Crystals and Minerals for a more extensive list.
Always do proper research on your crystal before you ingest any type of gem elixir
Directions for the Direct Method:
1. Physically and Spiritually cleanse your stones.
2. Place your crystal(s) in a large, clear bowl and fill with water.
3. Leave the bowl out in the sunlight for 2-4 hours to allow the water to charge with the properties of the stone. If you have a stone that will fade in the sunlight, like Amethyst, you can use the Full Moon's light instead. If using moonlight, retrieve the bowl before dawn.
4. Remove the crystal and pour the liquid into a clean glass jar. If you are making an elixir that will not be used within a few days to a week, fill your jar only 3/4 full with your elixir and the other 1/4 with either distilled vinegar or vodka, which will act as a preservative and will prevent algae from growing in the water.
5. The contents of this jar is your Mother Essence. You can make smaller dosage bottles by adding about thirteen drops of Mother Essence to a smaller bottle filled with regular water. If the smaller bottle will not be used within a week, add vinegar or vodka to preserve it.
Directions for the Indirect Method:
Follow all of the steps of the Direct Method, except for step 2.
Instead of placing your stones in the large bowl, place them in a smaller bowl. Place the smaller bowl into the larger one, then pour the water into the large bowl.
This way the crystals vibrations can still be applied to the water without transferring toxins and without damaging the crystal.
Using Gem Elixirs:
You can use your elixir to anoint yourself and/or ritual tools.
You can also use it as an oral supplement for healing or drawing energy. If taking orally, only use about 4-5 drops of the Mother Essence by placing the drops on your tongue.
If you are taking the elixir internally, it will have a shelf life of about 2 years (with a preservative).
If for Topical application (anointing, cleansing, baths, etc) is will have a shelf life of about 6-10 years (with preservative).
Note: You can also make gem oils in this way. Use oil instead of water and do not add alcohol. This oil can be used for anointing the self, candles, baths, or just for a perfume. You should not ingest these oils and discard them if they begin to smell rancid.
For More Information:
For more information on Crystals, their uses and Gem Elixirs, you can visit these following links:
Hibiscus Moon - http://hibiscusmooncrystalacademy.com/
Sami at On the Rocks Crystals - http://www.ontherockscrystals.com/index.html
Print this page for your Book of Shadows
Did you try this project? Tweak it? Have a different method? Tell us what you think!