Many people like to read a Litany of the Dead as part of their Samhain and Day of the Dead celebrations. This year (and in the future) we thought it would be nice to provide a list for your convenience as well as to offer the community a place to honor their own dead from this past year. his year marked the transition of several people who greatly impacted not just the culture of the magical community, the greater culture we live in.
At the bottom of this list, please use the comment feature to add anyone we have missed, including members of your own local community.
Please remember that it is just bad manners to out other people without their permission, including the dead, so if you are listing people who were not publicly Pagan, Heathen, Wiccan or otherwise alternatively spiritual or Magickal, please use their public craft name if they had one or a nickname. It is not a requirement for people on this list to be a member of the magical community (as you can see many aren't) only that we can feel the impact of their lives and their deaths.
You are also welcome and encouraged to use the comments feature to offer prayers, poems, and anything else you feel is appropriate.
This and all future Litany of the Dead lists are recorded beginning from November 1st of the previous year.
- South African President, Anti-Apartheid leader, Nobel laureate Nelson Mandela died December 5, 2013 at the age of 95
- Colin Wilson, philosopher and writer of paranormal fiction and existentialist and metaphysical non-fiction, probably best known for his early work, The Outsider in 1956, died on December 5, 2013
- Hazel Sampson, last native speaker of the Native American Klallam language, died February 4th, 2014 at the age of 103
- Shirley Temple Black, the most famous child star of the '30s and possibly of all time died February 10, 2014. Less known is her work as a public servant and diplomat as an adult.
- Donald Michael Kraig, an editor for Fate Magazine and Llewellyn and author of several books including Modern Sex Magick: Secrets of Erotic Spirituality and Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts died on March 17, 2014
- Steve Moore, author of Somnium died March 16, 2014
- Morning Glory Zell-Ravenheart died on May 13, 2014 leaving a long legacy including several projects in partnership with her husband Oberon Zell-Ravenheart, not limited to the the writing of the books Creating Circles & Ceremonies: Rituals for All Seasons And Reasons. She was a priestess of the Church of All Worlds. The Goddess Legacy Project was begun in her honor shortly after her death.
- Stephen Sutton (19) died of cancer on March 14, 2015 after raising millions of dollars for future cancer patients
- Judith Harrow, clergy for the Covenant of the Goddess, chair for Cherry Hill Seminary, radio personality and writer of Wicca Covens, Spiritual Mentoring: A Pagan Guide, and contributed to Devoted to You: Honoring Deity in Wiccan Practice, The Paganism Reader(2004), and PanGaia Magazine, died March 20, 2014
- Maya Angelou, a significant African American, feminist author, poet, performer and civil rights activist died May 28, 2014. Her first book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings(1969) was groundbreaking and the rest of her life's work was no less phenomenal.
- Margot Adler, a popular radio journalist for NPR, Wiccan priestess and elder for the Covenant of the Goddess and author of the influential Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today(1976, revised in 2006), among many other books, essays, articles and lectures, succumbed to cancer on July 28, 2014.
- Ruby Dee, African American poet, actress and civil rights activist died on June 11, 2014 at the age of 91.
- Robin Williams, American comedian, philanthropist and prolific actor and died August 11, 2014
- Lauren Bacall, American actress and fashion icon died August 12, 2014
- Jeff Rosenbaum, executive director of the Association for Consciousness Exploration and organizer for the Starwood Festival died in August, 2014
- Joan Rivers, American comedienne, actress and philanthropist died September 4, 2014
- Jan Hooks, American actress and comedienne best known for her performances on Saturday Night Live died on October 9, 2014
- Elizabeth Peña, Latina American actress and director died October 14, 2014
- Joan Quigley, White House Astrologer during the Reagan era died October 21, 2014
- Peter Paddon, host of the Crooked Path Podcast died October 23, 2014
- Patricia Kehoe died of a heart attack on May 2, 2014 of this year. A rhythmical massage therapist, and a practitioner of ' white magic' and a beloved teacher and grandmother.
Please feel free to add to this list and to post your memories, devotions and thoughts by using the link below.
How can we improve this section?