Many people like to read a Litany of the Dead as part of their Samhain and Day of the Dead celebrations. This year (and in the future) we thought it would be nice to provide a list for your convenience as well as to offer the community a place to honor their own dead from this past year. his year marked the transition of several people who greatly impacted not just the culture of the magical community, the greater culture we live in.
At the bottom of this list, please use the comment feature to add anyone we have missed, including members of your own local community.
Please remember that it is just bad manners to out other people without their permission, including the dead, so if you are listing people who were not publicly Pagan, Heathen, Wiccan or otherwise alternatively spiritual or Magickal, please use their public craft name if they had one or a nickname. It is not a requirement for people on this list to be a member of the magical community (as you can see many aren't) only that we can feel the impact of their lives and their deaths.
You are also welcome and encouraged to use the comments feature to offer prayers, poems, and anything else you feel is appropriate.
This and all future Litany of the Dead lists are recorded beginning from October 31st of the previous year.
- Pete Pathfinder Davis founder of the Aquarian Tabernacle Church and Spiral Scouts, died October 31, 2014
- David James, an Asatru Elder died November 4th, 2014
- Tom Magliozzi, host of NPR's CarTalk died November 3rd, 2014
- Louise Shumway Muhler, daughter of Aleister Crowley died November 20, 2014
- Leonard Nemoy, author, writer, musician, he played Spock on Star Trek. He died February 27th, 2015 of complications from COPD
- Sir Terry Pratchett, Author of the Disk World Series of books
- Jimmy Greenspoon of Three Dog Night
- Walter Burkert, author of Greek Religion
- Albert Hofman, creator of LSD
- Heather Carr An ordinary Canadian Witch, Priestess and Social Worker who died in a tragic accident and deserves to be remembered.
- Ian Wiilson, Eron the Wizard, Cornish Mystic died in May Here is an article about his funeral and this one tells you a bit more about him.
- Christopher Lee, an actor who appeared in several cult films popular with the magickal community, including The Wicker Man, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings died June 7, 2015.
- Ruby Dee, civil rights activist and glass ceiling-breaking actress, awesome woman, died June 11, 2015
- Burt Shavitz, cofounder of Burt's Bees
- George Coe, American actor, Saturday Night Live, Max Headroom, Archer.
- Deborah Ann Light (1935-2015) Priestess, ritualists and Activist, died in Florida on July 21, 2015
- Micheal Howard
- Kim Saltmarsh Dietz
Also visit Circle Sanctuary's memorial page and list of Pagan war dead at https://www.circlesanctuary.org/index.php/military-ministries/pagan-war-dead
You are invited and encouraged to remember your own beloved dead using the comments section below.
How can we improve this section?